Sunday, April 14, 2013

Balsamic Red Onion Chicken with Black Beans

Pin It Now!



Two of my favorite things! Chicken and Black Beans! I eat this at least twice a week. It's great right outta the pan but put this mixture in a tortilla with some lettuce and sour cream and Oh My Goodness! I've actually eaten a whole pan of this by myself. (Shhh! Don't tell my family!) I usually make this in a large non-stick skillet but recently I got a cast-iron skillet and I liked it so much that I don't think ill ever make it in anything else.


Ingredients:
10 Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenderloins -or- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, trimmed of fat
1 (15 oz.) Can Black Beans, unseasoned
1/2 Medium Red Onion, sliced
3 tbl Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 Tomato, seeded and diced
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 tbl Fresh Parlsey, chopped
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Red Pepper Flake (or less if you are heat sensitive)
1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
2-3 tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
Place sliced red onion in a bowl with balsamic vinegar. Leave the bowl on the counter while you cook the chicken to let the onion marinate.
Warm oil in a large skillet and add minced garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring for one minute. Add chicken to skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes and flip; cook for another two minutes.
                                 
Add onions. Cook, tossing occasionally for 6-7 minutes. I love the color they get!

While this is cooking pour the black beans into a bowl and season with cumin, onion powder, red pepper flake, garlic powder and pepper to taste. Add black beans to the skillet and cook, covered for 10 minutes. ( I don't have a lid for my cast-iron skillet so I used the one that came with my large non-stick skillet and it worked well, sometimes you have to mix and match to get the job done!)
While the beans are cooking into the chicken dice the tomato and chop the parsley. When 10 minutes are up remove the lid and turn off the heat. Top beans and chicken with tomatoes and parsley. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings. Cheese, Sour Cream, Salsa, Jalapenos, whatever you like. I usually go for the hot sauce! This dish can be served alongside rice or in tortillas or even on top of nachos. It also goes great with my Parmesan Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins! Happy Eating! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line sugar pie!