Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Refreshing Strawberry Tea

Pin It Now!
Spring is on the way! I moved to Florida about two years ago and it gets HOT in the springtime! Rainy season comes and it stays muggy outside so when the skies finally clear I like to go out on my porch and enjoy my favorite warm weather drink. Strawberries, water and Splenda are all you need to make your day delicious!


I have this awesome little teapot that I bought at Teavana (great tea shop) and I filled it with 2 cups of water and popped it in the microwave for about two minutes. You could just as easily do this in a pot over the stove if you don't have a teapot. Just simmer two cups of water for about 4 minutes and then take the pot off the heat. I use about five (sliced) strawberries for this and I also throw in any extra strawberry tops I have in the refrigerator. I save them (minus the leaves) for teas, desserts and compotes. What can I say? I'm a saver!

 
Just throw the strawberries in the water and steep for anywhere from 5 minutes if you want a hint of strawberry and up to 15 minutes if you want a stronger flavor. I love strawberries with all my southern heart so I leave them in for 15! When time is up discard the strawberries and pour the tea into your preferred container. I reuse glass jars but anything you have with a good lid on it is fine. Next, you'll want to add sweetener. I have found that white sugar is too heavy and the longer it sits the more syrup-like it gets. Not good. I opt for a low calorie sweetener like Splenda because it's light and better for your family. At this stage you can store it in the refrigerator for close to two weeks but I usually cut up a few more strawberries and add them before I refrigerate it. You'll notice a more robust flavor the longer it sits in the refrigerator. Personally, I make it and let it sit in the refrigerator for four days before I take the first sip. Takes a little bit of self control but it's worth it! Not only is this drink delicious but it's also healthier than those premade flavored drinks you'll find at the grocery store! Happy Spring!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line sugar pie!